27 January 2011

Thursday 27th January

Reed Bunting
Hooray I have managed to get out for just my 2nd day this month, a bit disappointing I know but I'm nearly ready to hit the patch full on and looking forward to spring which seems to be just around the corner (well that's how fast it seems to be going), I covered the area from 9:20 - 11:25am, which produced 1 Woodcock, 2 Reed Buntings (to which I have finally managed to get a decent photo of after years of trying), 2 Siskins west, 13 Fieldfares, 2 Redwings, 6 Goldcrests, 1 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 3 Green Woodpeckers, 6 Chaffinches, 2 Meadow Pipits, 6 Skylarks, 4 Ring-necked Parakeets, 9 Stock Doves, 4 Common Gulls, 50 Black-headed Gulls, 1 Linnet, 3 Goldfinches and 6 Long-tailed Tits wow it's nice to be out again.

Sunday 23rd January

I had to go over to Whitstable today so what an opportunity there was to twitch the Waxwings which have been seen in Tesco's Car Park, I arrived at 12:05pm, and straight away there was 25 by the bus stop I wonder what number bus they were after!!.

Wednesday 19th January

At long long last I have finally managed my first day on the patch in 2011, a couple of hours out this morning in pleasant sunshine produced 5 Goldcrests, 1 Siskin west, 1 Fieldfare, 25 Chaffinches, 14 Greenfinches, 3 Goldfinches, 1 Redwing, 1 Jackdaw, 3 Pied Wagtails, 17 Skylarks, 1 Meadow Pipit, 1 Kestrel, 4 Ring-necked Parakeets, 3 Green Woodpeckers, 3 Great Spotted Woodpeckers, 23 Magpies, 5 Jays, 2 Common Gulls, 150 Black-headed Gulls and 350 Wood Pigeons.

Wednesday 12th January

Many thanks to all those who have e-mailed me regarding the lack of recent sightings, yes I am still with the land of the living but have recently had, and am now at the end of several birding projects which have nearly finished, due to this I haven't managed a single day out this year on the patch which itself is an all time record, but this will change very shortly and I look forward to another year ahead, the only birds I have recently found was a total of 50 Waxwings by the shell garage at Nethercourt in Ramsgate on the 4th, and 126 birds on the 5th January.